Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Amerikaner





Two weeks ago I decided I needed to bake something to blog about. I had a slow day not doing anything much (I guess playing on the computer and stuff).
My go-to recipe always are these cakes... In Germany we call them Amerikaner, I have no idea what they are called elsewhere or if you have something similar at all. Please tell me if you know!

I have a fructose poisoning (sounds wrong, in german we call it fructose intolerance) so normal sugar is not the best option (consisting half of fructose the other half glucose). So I usually use cornsugar/dextrose instead of regular sugar. One needs to take more dextrose to make it as sweet as it would be with normal sugar, that makes the dough a little drier, so I need to add a little more of something wet. Learning by doing... In this recipe I added an extra egg, so here is my recipe:
The recipe goes as follows:

 Preheat your oven to 160°C
500 g flour
 
3 tsp baking powder
300g dextrose
1 dash salt

4 eggs
1/8 l milk

125 g butter (works best when melted)
1 tbsp rum (I hardly ever have rum, so I usually just leave it be)

Stir, but not with this kind

but with this kind, it really didn't work with the other one:

it will look like this in the end:

 make little piles on cooking sheet, I use a tablespoon and a teaspoon to make them. Try to have similarly sized piles! And put them in the oven. It takes about 15 minutes:

In the oven they will flatten out like this:

Done awesomeness after 15 minutes.


Due to my blog, I thought I would like to try another twist: chocolate chips... Who can resist chocolate? Not me definitly:
 

 Here are the chocolaty piles:
 I forgot to take pictures of the chocolaty kind, 
but they looked much the same as the regular one.

I expected them to taste quite the same as the other ones,
just with a little added chocolate taste, but it was more like
chocolate taste with little else ;) I needed some of them to get
used to the taste ;)



The full recipe:
500 g flour
3 tsp baking powder
300g dextrose
1 dash salt
4 eggs
125 g butter (works best when melted)
1/8 l milk
1 tbsp rum (I hardly ever have rum, so I usually just leave it be)

Preheat oven to 160°C. Stir first the dries, then put in all the wets. Blend. Make piles on a cooking sheet, put in the oven for 15 mins.


 I wanted to share this "fail" picture as well, I found it too funny to keep to myself: The first pair of blenders didn't work and I put them away. Shortly after the cord of my mixer was right in the middle of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment